Thursday, May 26, 2011

Oprah's Final Shows

I, like anyone who is a child raised on tv watched Oprah growing up. I used to watch when I was a little girl and would know that my mom was close to coming home from work, when the end credits was rolling. I remember being a little black girl(Oprah says little colored girl so the world is changing) like in the 4th grade. I had the best teacher ever named Miss Rainwater. I remember her telling us that we could do anything, be anything. And those were the days when you needed an idol and you were a black little girl, you looked up to Oprah. I remember she was a great symbol of believing in your self and making sure you never gave up to achieve your dreams. Oprah was everywhere when I was younger. In the library(on those Read posters), in magazines and on tv of course. She wanted us to read, to go to college to better ourselves so we could be our greatest selves.

Through out the years, I have had several people tell me that I look like Oprah. I'm still not sure that's a compliment(I think she's a very pretty lady) it's just I think I look like April, not Oprah. But I knew growing up that I wanted to be in her postion. Be able to reach millions and give them the encouragement they needed to survive day to day. Life is hard, and somehow Oprah found a way to really touch lives. Some people disagree with some of the things she has said or done, but I just like to focus on what good she has done for so many people. A couple of years ago I said...."I should be the Mormon Oprah". Don't be surprised okay....I'm just saying!


So, Miss Oprah from your mothering role in the Color Purple to mothering hundreds of thousand of dreams we love you. We love your drive in life and how you want others to find that drive. I'm sure others are posting long love letters to you too Oprah, but I have two toddlers! Can't wait to see what's next.


No comments: