Saturday, January 23, 2010

Goodnight Mr. O'Brien


I feel so odd writing something for my dear friend Coco and it's only been a few months since he started the Tonight Show. My previous post was saying my mix of joy and sadness of the switch of host on The Tonight Show. And now, after 2 weeks of drama and switching host and time slots was just almost too much for me to handle. When the rumor was first going around that Jay Leno was getting his 11:35 spot back, I kind of said "Why I watch Jay at 10...what's the problem?"But I'm just a 20 something girl who's a night owl. And the fighting started, they were mention the "negotiations" on the evening news. When it got to that point, I knew it was for real. So I started to mentally preparing my self for the switch for Jay to be at 11...Conan later blah blah. Suddenly, Coco out of no where and says "No, NBC I'm not moving". I know most of you know the details, even if you don't stay up late so I won't post them here.

I watched Conan's final show tonight. I was expecting laughs, but I wasn't expecting the tender vulnerable feelings that were shown. I cried. I've had a super man crush on Conan for such a long time and to just see him work very hard to have to extra exciting chair on The Tonight Show, it was just perfect for him and I! The show started funny, and ended with a ubber funny rendition of "Free Bird" via Will Ferrel on a few special guests. His final "conversation" that we had was so emotional for me. He started talking about his career and growing into the great genius he is, because of NBC. And now, like some of the relationships in our lives, it was coming to and end. I saw my hero with tears in his eyes....holding back applause from the audience so he could control his emotions as he asked the fans to not be bitter towards anyone(namely NBC or Jay Leno) and not be cynical. A fantastic final monologue, mixed with raw emotion, wisdom, and just a beautiful exit from a handsome funny man.

Conan, I know you'll never read this but I think you're great and wonderful and I can't wait to figure out what you'll do next. Until next time "We're gonna have a great time on TV tonight...stay tuned!"

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I too was sooooooo sad when I watched Conan's final show on Friday. He's awesome, and now I'm just going to have to go to bed after the news.